I am of an age and from a place that when this internet thing happened I had enough in me to understand it, but also old enough not to understand it.
Where I am now, I sort of get the net. Somehow I really don’t. But really who really understands the net? How can you understand the internet when, as of March 2009, there is an estimated 1 trillion unique URLs.
It is amazing, again… 1,000,000,000,000 unique URLs.
What is even more amazing is that no one is in charge. The internet is this living, growing, moving thing that is seemingly moving on its own without anyone really standing up to the plate and is saying I am in charge.
Who is the President of the Internet? Who is the CEO of the internet?
There’s got to be someone at the steering wheel or is it like what Jeff Goldblum’s character (Dr. Ian Malcom) in Jurassic Park said “life will find a way” it always does. Is the internet finding its way on its own?
Anyway, another Jurassic Park quote…”just because we can does not mean we should” but let’s do it anyway…
Here is a the top 5 most visited websites in the world according to http://www.alexa.com :
1. http://www.google.com – Do I even need to explain what they do? USA, India, China, Germany and Brazil are the top 5 coutnries that visit google. They apparently use GMAIL a lot.
2. http://www.facebook.com – Facebook who? Just ask your mom who they are…. Again, the USA and India top the list of users of this website. The French, Italian and the Brits are the most frequent visitors
3. http://www.youtube.com – Another google franchise. The Americans again lead the way, followed by the Japanese, Indian, Germans and then the English. Yes you know who you are. I am amazed how many of you guys visit the site on a regular basis just to get your dose of watching cats on skateboards. Yes you know who you are… : )
4. http://www.yahoo.com – I actually love yahoo! This is the only site on the top 5 where the top 5 users are from Asia. 1. USA; 2. India, 3. Taiwan, 4. UK, 5. China
5. http://www.live.com – Finally from Microsoft. Again it’s the Americans, Mexicans, Brazilians, French and the English are the driving force for live.com. Great URL! Just love it I must say, I have never used Live.com before. Amazing they beat Wikipedia!
Again just because we can…
In Asia, here are the top 5:
1. http://www.baidu.com – China baby!
2. http://www.Qq.com – Sorry, can’t read the website. 100% China
3. http://www.taobao.com – another Chinese site?
4. http://www.sina.com.cn – Chinese… still
5. http://www.yandex.ru – Яндекс From Russia with love! (Russia is strictly not Asia… but hey I would like to think they are practically Asians : p )
What’s the stats on our blog!? Nothing… we got nothing… : )
Anyway…. That’s it for now!